Monday, 10 November 2014

Jethro Tull (VIII): a bit too simple to be Tull

I’ve made a big mistake. I just started studying a master for very hard-working people, and I’m a lazy person. Bad idea. I don’t want to bore you with my life, I already have my friends ready to roll their eyes when I start moaning and whining; I just wanted to say this to explain that I’ll definitely write much less from now on, probably a post every month, maybe two, but certainly not more than that.

I’m feeling particularly stressed this week and I’ll write an easy post to clear my mind a little bit. Easy for me, because it’s about Jethro Tull, and easy for whoever keeps reading this after finding out I’m writing about these guys again and scowling, because it’s about a really accessible album.

Too Old to Rock ‘n’ Roll, Yoo Young to Die!, released in 1976, is actually their most accessible album on the 70s, something which casual listeners may be grateful for, as Tull’s music was extremely complex and not really easy to get into at that time. It may be the worst, too. I mean, it’s a good album, sure, I just find it pretty simple and unpretentious compared to most of their stuff. It’s ten time worse than, let’s say, A Passion Play, but it’s easy to like it from the beginning. It’s also the best album that features poor John Glascock, who would provide his bass guitar skills plus some backing vocals until his early death in 1979. He was certainly too young to die. I’ll write about that later, though.

Ian Anderson's comic twin brother
There’s a funny story here. In the short booklet that comes with the remastered version, Ian Anderson explains that the music was intended to support a stage musical "based on a late-'50s motor cycle rocker and his living-in-the-past nostalgia for youthful years”. And then he added “Not me, guv, honest”. That’s kind of hard to believe, considering the cover of the album depicts him. Or someone who looks like his twin brother. The booklet, by the way, also has a tiny comic book that depicts every song on the album.

This is probably the only Tull album in the 70s without a properly epic song. No My God, no Baker Street Muse, no Velvet Green... the music seems bland in comparison. A couple of the songs are totally irrelevant (Bad Eyed ‘n’ Loveless and Big Dipper), although, at least, the rest of the album is solid enough. There are a couple of catchy rockers (Quizz Kid and Taxi Grab), a simple song that somehow puts me in the best of moods (Pied Piper) and a few melancholic tracks.





The title track, one of the melancholic ones, is probably the best known song on the album, however I’d like to highlight Salamander because of its nice acoustic guitar work, and also From a Dead Beat to an Old Greaser, a song that has grown on me a lot for some reason. David Palmer has a really good sax solo here.




The remastered version includes two new tracks: A Small Cigar, which cracks me up, don’t ask me why, and Strip Cartoon, another light-hearted song that would make a stone happy.




This is it for today. There are so many things I want to write about in the near future... the joint effort by Van Morrison and The Chieftains, more Jethro Tull (their next three albums, the folky trilogy, are unforgettable), Eric Woolfson (it’s almost the 5th anniversary of his death)... so much music out there, life is good.

Here's the facebook page for the blog, where I also post random songs and articles from time to time. Also, here are all the previous posts about Jethro Tull:









2 comments:

  1. enjoyed that, especially the bit about the song being good enough to make a stone happy, never heard that before nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. มันใกล้แล้วที่จะเลิกโง่สักที

      Delete