Thursday, 21 May 2015

The excellent taste in music of Portuguese gas stations

Today I want to write about an album which, apart from being excellent, will always be my best purchase. Yeah, this means there’s a grandpa story coming, so be patient. I was fifteen years old and I was on a school trip. While we were driving through Portugal to go to Galicia, we stopped at a gas station. I often enjoy having a look at the music they sell in some of them, as the covers are usually ridiculous (the music probably sounds even more ridiculous, to be honest). You can imagine how surprised I was when I saw an Eric Clapton CD there. No, wait, not one CD: a double CD plus a DVD. For nine euro. It was too cheap to be true, but I had almost no money so one of my best friends (a huge Clapton fan) and me bought it together and decided to copy everything so we could have one each. I must admit that, right now, I have the original CDs and DVD, although my friend doesn’t listen to that much music so I don’t think he really cares.

By the way, I’m talking about One More Car, One More Rider, a live double CD from 2001. It combines songs that were new back then (damn, it’s already been fifteen years!) and old ones; jazz, blues and rock.

It’s a really amazing concert and there’s not a single bad song. The instrumental jazzy Reptile, Change the World, She’s Gone, Over the Rainbow (that was a nice closer!)... I find it impossible to highlight specific parts of the concert, so I encourage you to just buy or download the album. I uploaded it on youtube a long time ago, but as you may know, those c*nts deleted my channel.



All the musicians do a great job. I especially like Billy Preston and David Sancious, both on keyboards. Check out Sancious’s performances every time he does a solo, it’s a real show. Have You Ever Loved a Woman? is a good example of this.




Now that I think about it, there’s one song I want to highlight, and it’s Layla. Best version ever, by far. Here’s a link to that version and to some other songs from that concert. Enjoy Clapton at his best, I’ll watch the whole DVD one of these days.



1 comment:

  1. Clapton was always a classy guy and very humble. Always acknowledging other musicians who influenced him.

    His unique voice is an acquired taste, though.

    ReplyDelete